Wednesday, May 11, 2016

It's Only One Day

Yesterday I had to drop Henry off at my in-law's early and work late.  My job is cyclical, so I knew the longer hours were coming, but I couldn't shake the guilt on my drive home of being away from Henry for a few hours longer than normal.  Ben fed him a bottle when he got home, instead of me nursing him as usual.  I don't know why, but the fact that I couldn't feed him his usual evening meal really got to me.  Then all of a sudden, I realized it's only one day.

I don't usually have long hours at the office.  I'm fortunate that my office is close to my home so I rarely have delays in my commute.  Having an extra bottle isn't going to ruin the rest of Henry's night.  When I walked through the door he was the same happy, smiling, talkative baby that he is every night.

I might have to work a little longer than usual in the coming weeks, and I am going to take it one day at a time.  The time I am at the office won't be detrimental to Henry.  It will allow him and Ben some more one-on-one bonding time.  I will feel more productive and accomplished at the end of the day for finishing work projects.  I will still get to spend time with my little dude before bedtime.

Being a mom is tough.  We put so much pressure on ourselves and the guilt can feel overwhelming at times.  When we have days that are a little different from the normal routine, we have to remember that it's only one day.

Plus, look at the awesome view I have from my office building.  

The view from my cubicle (if I walk away from my computer about 15 feet)

No comments:

Post a Comment