Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I get by with a little help from my friends


Every time I hear this song I can't help but thing of the TV show The Wonder Years.  Anyone else?  These words have become more true in my life as I go further on this path of motherhood.  

A few days after Henry was born I was meeting with a lactation consultant to get some help with latching. During our appointment, she encouraged me to attend the next Mom's Group that the hospital sponsors.  I wasn't too sure about it. I've never been very good at making friends with girls and I'd heard horror stories of the super judgmental moms groups of today. She assured me the moms in this group would welcome me and Henry with open arms. The speaker that week was an estate planner, something Ben and I had on our to-do list since we had gotten married over two years before. I still wasn't sure if I'd fit in or feel comfortable at the moms group, but I decided to go anyway to learn more about estate planning.

It was one of the best decisions I have made as a new mom. Not only did I learn about estate planning and family law, I met a wonderful group of new moms who are now some of my closest friends. I planned my weeks while on maternity leave around Mom's Group meetings. I learned so many things I didn't know I needed to know to better understand Henry and help him thrive. From physical development, to how to pick a daycare, to mom and baby yoga. But the best thing I learned from moms group is that you need other mom friends.

Having friends that are in the same stage of life as you are comes in handy while you’re trying to figure out motherhood and parenting.  It truly does take a village to raise a baby.   Being able to lean on your friends helps so much when you're a new momma.  They understand where you're coming from.  They are also learning as they go with parenting and functioning on little sleep.   Mom friends cheer each other on at each milestone and lend a shoulder to lean on during times of struggle.

I think having a group of momma friends is so important that its one of the first pieces of advice I offer to my friends who are expecting.  Find a moms group.  Get to know other moms who have babies close in age to your baby.  I have invited practically every new mom I come across to moms group.  Coworkers.  Wives of coworkers.  My husband's coworkers.  Friends.  Neighbors.  Pregnant mommas at Target.  Moms who were in my birth class and I haven't seen since before Henry was born but happened to run into over the weekend.  True story.

If you don't already have a wonderful Mom's Group, go find one!  Ask your doctor, lactation consultant, doula, pediatrician, or hospital if they are aware of any local Mom's Groups.  Search online for Mom's Groups that meet up in your area.  Some local yoga studios and business host Mom's Groups where I live.  (Be sure to use the internet smartly and safely.  Only meet in a public place and somewhere that looks legitimate.  I wouldn't search Craig's List for Mom's Groups.)  If there isn't already a Mom's Group in your area, create one.

Get out there momma, build your village.  Make some momma friends.  It will be one of the best decisions you've ever made as a new parent.



No comments:

Post a Comment