Thursday, July 19, 2018

Tips for Storing Kids Clothes



The other day I was helping Henry get dressed and I was having trouble get his shorts over his cute little bum.  I checked the size and they were 24 Months!  He will be three in October and has definitely outgrown his size 24 months clothes.  I'm pretty sure I bought him some size 3T jeans in April.  It was time to go through the dresser and closet to store the clothes that are too small so that Jack can wear them in the future. 


Bins (old, similar)

I have been storing baby clothes in plastic bins since Henry first outgrew his adorable newborn onesies.  I love using clear, tinted plastic storage bins with lids to store clothes because they keep the clothes clean and dry, I can see what is inside, and they stack nicely.  I cut out the labels for each bin on my Cricut to make it super easy to see which size is in each bin.  Target doesn't sell the smaller bins that I use to store newborn clothes and shoes, but I found these bins that look very similar. 

Large bins, Small bins (old, similar)

Going through my boys' clothes is always bittersweet for me.  I can never believe how quickly they have grown.  Sorting through and storing the clothes brings back memories of all the fun we've had while they were that size, even if it was just a few weeks ago that the clothes fit!  Below are some tips on how to store your kids' clothes so that they are easy for you to find for your next baby or to pass along to a friend!
  • Limit yourself to one bin per size.  Sometimes when I am storing my boys' clothes, there are too many clothes to fit into one bin.  Instead of putting the excess in another bin, I go through the clothes and put the clothes that I didn't love or that never fit quite right into a box to donate.
  • Store clothes on laundry day. If I don't store the clothes on the same day I am doing laundry, the too small clothes inevitably get put away and worn again.  I also go through my car and diaper bag to switch out the clothes in my "In Case of Emergency" kits.  No one wants to be caught with clothes that are too small when you need an extra pair while out and about!

  • Stack outfits together. Okay, this is 100% my OCD coming out, but I store outfits stacked together.  I stack pants, shirt(s) and jacket (if there is one).  This has helped me so much when I have been switching out sizes for Jack.  

  • Stack like with like.  After I've stacked the outfits together in the bin, I stack like items together (pajamas with pajamas, pants with pants, short sleeve shirts with short sleeve shirts, etc.). Jack tends to outgrown one type of clothing faster than the others and its easy to grab just what I need out of the bin if I don't have time to switch everything out at once.
  • Store seasonal items together, but separately. I keep all of our holiday onesies and outfits in a different box separate from the rest of the boys' clothes.  I also keep outerwear in a separate bin. 

  • Keep accessories easily accessible. We don't have many accessories in a household of boys (but oh my, how fun it would be to have bins and bins of bows and headbands!), but we do have some ties and bowties.  Because these items aren't worn often and can be worn through many different sizes of clothes, I keep them all in a small bin on the closet shelf.  
  • Leave the bin out for a few weeks.  If you are going to store the box in a place that isn't super accessible (maybe a basement or attic), keep the bin in the closet or a corner of your child's room for a few weeks.  You are bound to find clothes that are too small while doing laundry or picking up other areas of the house.  If you have the bins easily accessible, those items are more likely to end up in the correct bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment