Friday, August 31, 2018

Best. Summer. Ever.


I will look back fondly at the Summer of 2018.  It has been such a fun summer, and not because we have taken a ton of trips or been busy every day.  In fact, the thing that has made this summer so wonderful is that I have intentionally under-scheduled our days and weeks.  We have had time to play, read, and laugh together.  I have had so many moments these past few months where I was able to just soak in the magic of summer with an almost three year-old and an almost one year-old.




Last summer was my first summer as a stay at home mom and it was great, except we were really, really busy.  And when we weren't busy, I was exhausted from being in the third trimester of pregnancy.  I was planning things weeks and months in advance so I could be sure to be the best mom ever and give Henry the best summer because we only get 18 of them before he goes off to college.  When the calendars turned to August 1st, I was burnt out and spent the majority of the rest of the summer on the couch watching Moana.


This summer I wanted to have the freedom to stay home and have low-key days or spontaneously load the boys up for an adventure depending on how we were all feeling that morning.  I really tried to make plans only a week or two at a time and not worry about checking off the imaginary bucket list in my head.  And it has been fabulous.


We have had lots of amazing, fun-filled days at the pool and the zoo.  We have spent time with friends and family.  We have played for hours and hours in our backyard and playroom, reading stories and doing puzzles.  We have gone for bike rides as a family two or three days a week.  I can honestly say this is the first time in a while that I am sad to see a season coming to an end (although I'm sure the heat will stick around for a few more months).  If this summer has taught me anything, it is to be intentional with the unscheduled time I give my boys and myself.  We may only get 18 summers with our kids before they head off to college, but we have even fewer summers when they are happy to just be with us, their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment